Thursday, March 17, 2011

Homemade Gift: Reversible Handbag



Today I have a wonderful free pattern link to share with you. It's called the Reversible Bag from Very Purple Person. I just discovered her blog this week, and she lives in Tokyo. I held my breath reading her post about the earthquake, wondering how it had affected her family. I was happy for her when I read that her husband made it home safely and they weren't directly affected by the devastation of the earthquake and tsunami. If you think of it, I'm sure they could still use prayer, though, since the nuclear situation is troubling.

I love the shape of this bag, so I had to give it a try. I started with the beautiful leftovers from a canvas-y tablecloth. There was just enough left to make one of these.



Here is the inside, since it's designed to be reversible. I used another canvas-y fabric inside, although this one is just a very small, simple print.



After I finished, I saw this slight flaw running through the top of the inside fabric. It doesn't show through to the other side, so I'd guess it's a simple case of one of the threads catching on something, then being smoothed back into place.

I love the look and feel of this bag! Since the fabrics were both a canvas-y material, it gave the bag lots of structure without any added facings. It doesn't have any zipper or other closure on top, but it hugs close to your body, so I didn't feel that it was necessary to add one.

At any rate, this one turned out so beautiful that I decided to go ahead and list it on Etsy. Because of that little fabric flaw, it will be at a reduced price. Go check it out if you're interested!

I'm linking to Check This Out!, Made by You Monday, Upcycled Awesome, Whatever Goes Wednesday and






 http://www.thethriftyhome.com

4 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I've looked at bags like that on-line but haven't attempted one yet. You did a great job with it!

Esther Asbury said...

BTW- Thanks for the tutorial link!!

Christa said...

This one is really easy. The hardest part is turning it and sewing the straps to the proper side. You'll love it!

Denise said...

Such a pretty bag. I love your fabric choice.

--Denise at Sly Needle

 
;