Monday, February 25, 2008

Photography: Children's Formals

I can't take any credit for her beauty. She's my niece. And you should see this girl's hair! She has the naturally curliest hair I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty curly.

But really, that has almost nothing to do with taking her picture ... Almost. It does have something to do with it because it's hard to take a bad picture of such a photogenic child. But trust me, it's possible. I have several pictures to prove it!

My biggest challenge in photographing her is that she has a camera smile. So how did I get around that? I tried telling her a joke. Unfortunately, she's a true blonde and I had a hard time telling her a joke that would make her laugh a true laugh. (Hey, I can say this because she's my niece and it's true!) But eventually I hit on something and got a natural look out of her.


These are two more of my favorite pictures to date, I think.

And I just took them to the next level with Soft Focus and a touch of Glow from Picasa.

Oh yes, about that background ... I got it in the $1/yard fabric section at my Wal-Mart. It's shiny on one side and matte on the other. I couldn't ask for a more perfect piece of material. I bought 6 yards and sewed it together to give me a 3-yard length that's double-wide. Looking back, I wish I had purchased more length, but I was thinking of child portraits at the time.

0 comments:

 
;