Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Cousin Camp blog series

It's time to start seriously planning for Cousin Camp 2008 around here, so I thought I'd do a blogging series for the next little bit. I'm not sure how long it will take me, but I'm going to share my plans for last year, some pictures from last year, and my plans for this year.

Just in case you've never heard of "cousin camp" before, let me explain. I got the idea from one of last year's Family Fun magazines. The basic idea is that you get all of your kids' cousins (from one side of the family) together for a few days.

Some people have them congregate at the grandparents' house, but my parents both have to work. So it was up to me - and my sister.

Now why on earth would I volunteer to keep 8 kids ranging from 1-1/2 to 13 for an entire week? If you're thinking "temporary insanity," I'll have to admit I might have agreed with you halfway through the week. But really, my kids live a good distance from the rest of my family. If they're going to grow up knowing their cousins, we're going to have to make an effort. So this is my yearly effort to bring my kids closer to their cousins, hence the term "Cousin Camp."

It was a huge hit with the kids, and I had lots of fun planning and preparing for it. We had crafts, lots of games, great food, even official t-shirts! And then we ended with a 13th birthday party for my nephew whose birthday was that weekend.

My son talked about it for months, and he really made friends with his cousins. It was a great success!

Coming up tomorrow: some planning from last year

0 comments:

 
;