Thursday, February 28, 2008

Book Spotlight: When the Dolls Woke

I don't usually read much fiction, but I saw When the Dolls Woke (a children's book) on my shelf this afternoon and I decided to read it. I had picked it up secondhand awhile back. (Good thing it only cost me $0.33!) For some crazy reason, I have a soft spot in my heart for any books about dolls coming to life. I think I could read books like this all day.

Unfortunately, while most of the story is cute and I really liked it, I did not like the portrayal of one of the dolls. It doesn't outright say it, but you can easily infer that the ship captain who picked it up for his daughter had no idea the doll was intended for voodoo use. And so the doll's personality is all wrapped up in dark magic and scary stories (which I would never in a million years let my daughter read).

In the end, the doll turns friendly. After, of course, certain events go her way and show her that she is not just an afterthought in the dollhouse.

I decided to get rid of this one because I don't want that kind of influence in my home. I don't want my daughter exposed to:

  • anything at all to do with voodoo
  • thinking that if someone does you wrong, it's an excuse to pout and do bad things

0 comments:

 
;