Monday, January 23, 2012

VW Beetle Bug Cards

Yes, you read that right. I finally got some more cards done!

My friend and I decided to take a day (more like an afternoon) just to work on cards, and I got a lot accomplished. When she had to leave to go home, I kept right on working and ended up with over 60 cards for the day.

Now, before you get too impressed, I don't mind doing assembly-line cards when I hit on a card design I like. I made 11 each of three different designs, and a whole fleet of these VW Beetle Bug cards (14 so far). I have plans to make a few more of them - they're just too perfect!


This is the first one I made, with guys in mind (hence the blue color). Then I got a little braver and tried red ...





I think it still looks enough like a regular car that I can use it for a guy. I need some guy cards.

But I really couldn't stop there. You see, VW Beetles are my absolute, all-time favorite car EVER. When I was a teenager, a local business bought a yellow one and painted eyelashes above the headlights, and I've wanted one just like it ever since. So here is the first of the girly VW Beetles ...



And here is second one (and last for now, anyway) ...


If you're like me and don't like fussy little pieces, this card is for you! You can find the free template here on Stamp-n-Design's blog. I like to cut as little freehanded as possible (because it's faster), so I used my paper trimmer for the bumper and tires, doing a quick scissor-rounding before gluing them down. Of course, the headlights are just a circle punch.

I discovered that I can get four cards from an 8.5x11" sheet of decorative paper, and six cards from a 12x12" sheet. Of course, that's using a plain white cardstock as the shaped card base. For the plain cars, I was able to get two out of one sheet of 8.5x11" paper, using the colored paper as my card base. There was just enough room to cut the hoods from the scraps.

Over the next few days, I'll try to share the rest of the cards I made. It's been so long since I got to work on cards that I wasn't sure I was going to like anything I cranked out. Wonder of wonders, I like them all!

4 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Oh Wow -- these are too cute!!!! Now I need to make some. I think my favorites are the girly ones with polka dots and flowers!
Great job and welcome back to cardmaking!

LauraJane:) said...

Thanks for the link to the templates! I really like your flowered car card!
HUGS!

jemilyea said...

Nice VW cards! I've starting rearranging my workroom and was sorting stationery and cards and thought of you and how you hadn't posted pictures of cards recently. I wasn't sure if you had just quit making them for awhile or weren't posting card projects.

Gail said...

Too cute.I'm going to make one tonight.

hugs

 
;