Friday, February 25, 2011

Homemade Gift: Chef's Apron from a Tablecloth



I found a gorgeous 100% cotton canvas tablecloth at Goodwill last week for $4. I almost didn't get it because I knew I couldn't get more than two aprons from it, but common sense won out. Where else could I get this much gorgeous canvas fabric for $4? So it ended up in my cart. After all, $2 for an apron this nice is still an awesome price.

To make things as easy as possible, I used my favorite apron as a pattern. I also used ribbon for the ties, which is about 100 times easier than trying to make ties from canvas material. (Yes, I started to make one before I realized this.) It's also 100 times more comfortable around your neck!

Instead of making this one reversible or lined, I just turned the raw edges under twice and stitched them. Of course, I sandwiched the ribbon in the appropriate seams before I stitched them, too. It worked great, and it was fast and easy!

Since I was able to get two of these out of the tablecloth (with some fabric leftover), I'm considering keeping one for myself and putting the other into my gift stash. I love roses!



 http://www.thethriftyhome.com



Hump Day link


4 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I do declare...you find a way to recycle EVERYTHING! Very nice work on this apron!

Christa said...

You know I just can't leave a gorgeous piece of fabric for such a good price. I had to think of *something* to do with it! :)

Humble Homemaker said...

haha! What an awesome idea! I love it. Such a thrifty fun apron. Thanks for hooking up at my Weekend Link Party! Have a great day.
Humble Homemaking

Robin Ange said...

Thank you so much for posting this upcycle over at The T-Shirt Diaries (http://tinyurl.com/upcycled35).

 
;