Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I give up!

Cousin Camp is next week. I just finished washing and drying the shirts I spent all day yesterday making ... And just like previous years, the tranfers either peeled at the edges (Avery brand) or stuck together during drying (Michaels brand). Although I generally think I have pessimistic tendencies, I have been overly optimistic about these transfers, continuing to use them year after year when they continue to fail.

I followed the instructions to the "t," so to speak. I even timed the ironing and cooling down. I have a heavy iron, didn't use a heat-sink surface (i.e. ironing board or the like), put all of my weight onto it (using both hands), and made sure I ironed the edges a lot. I hovered over the washing machine so they wouldn't bleed. And I did the same thing over the dryer. I took them out as soon as they were dry. The designers of the product could not have followed their own instructions more closely.

I think I'm through with iron-on transfers. I just wasted $20+ on t-shirts, not to mention how much I paid for the iron-on sheets. None of the companies will pay you for the t-shirts their product ruined, so I'll warn you ... DON'T try it. It's really not worth it.

Please excuse me while I go cry over spilled milk ... :(

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

I am so sorry
you really should write the company, you might reach a kind customer service person who can make it right.

jemilyea said...

Lots of sympathy is coming your way!

Christa said...

Well, I feel a little better just telling someone about it. :) I actually talked to an Avery representative several times last year when the same thing happened. They said they'd mail me a replacement of the transfer sheets (which is what I used this year), but they couldn't be responsible for the price of the t-shirts. It's written on the packaging, too, if I remember correctly.

I'm sure I could get them to mail me another pack of transfers, but I'm not interested in going through all of this again. I'll have to look for another alternative next year.

I'll be okay. I just need a few days' perspective. :)

sharon :) said...

Aw man, I am so sorry. I have NEVER had good luck with those things; I gave up on them several years ago. I know that several craft stores now have fabric crayons, markers and paint--all in awesome colors...might that be an option for you next year?

You could buy one or two items a week during the year using those wonderful % off coupons and have you a nice stash for next summer!

{{{HUGS}}} for you.

Christa said...

Sharon, that would be a neat idea! It would still be a keepsake, and it would certainly be a reflection of their age at the time. I'll have to think about that one! :)

 
;