Friday, June 4, 2010

Beautiful bookmarkers from file folder scraps

Sorry I didn't get anything posted until now. I usually try to have my postings live by around 8:00 in the morning, but it just didn't work today. I've been busy gearing up for Cousin Camp next week, and I spent the entire afternoon cooking and baking in preparation. My feet hurt, so I'm putting them up for a few minutes and posting about these lovely bookmarkers I got inspired to make just last night.

While I was listening to Peep Behind the Scenes by Lamplighter Publishing, my eyes fell on these gorgeous scraps from the floral file folders I've been working with so much lately. Several of the pieces had natural tendencies to bookmarkers (i.e. the first two); others were a great starting point (like the last one).

So let's take a peek at what you can do with cut-offs from the file folder notebook holders.



This first one was the only scrap I had with an empty space near the top like this. I immediately thought of this sentiment stamp (Tim Holtz) and thought it applied to reading books since you develop your imagination when you read.

I inked around the edges of the bookmarker, but I suspected that it wasn't going to dry within a week, thanks to the somewhat-glossy finish of the file folder. I was right, and I ended up heat embossing the edges with clear embossing powder this morning to seal the ink.

This bookmarker is 2-1/4 x 7".



I had two scraps like this, and they didn't require anything but rounding corners and inking edges. These are also 2-1/4 x 7".



This last one (actually, I made two of them identical) was just a strip of elegant-but-understated-pattern, so I jazzed it up a little by layering it with smaller scraps from other file folders. I used a Cuttlebug die for the off-white heart-shaped curlicues, and then I added silver Stickles around the rose panel in the middle.

These are slightly bigger at 2-1/2 x 7".

I'm thinking of doing up a themed gift ensemble, so check back to my Etsy shop later if you're interested.

3 comments:

humanclay said...

These are just beautiful!

Foundinthe-ALI said...

Cute bookmarks! I had the kids I babysit color these for their mom for mothers day since she is a big reader :)

For the Flower hairbands: I hot glued a 3" piece of ribbon to the elastic (centered) then I used more hot glue and folded each side over so there was a square of ribbon securely wrapped around the hair band. Then I hot glued the flower to the ribbon so that flower had a little more "something" to grab onto than just the sliver of elastic. I hope I explained that well enough. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Christa said...

Thanks Ali - that's exactly what I needed to know! :) And if anyone else is curious what we're talking about, you can see her hair bands here: http://foundintheali.blogspot.com/2010/05/holy-craft.html

 
;