Wednesday, June 2, 2010

File Folder Altered Composition Book

I've been drooling over these Dollar Tree file folders long enough. I decided it was high time I used them. Actually, I used one earlier on an altered paper mache box. I was thinking of making notepad holders with them, but the design is bigger than most, so that get's a little tricky. (I did make one, but I had to alter the design quite a bit. More on that some other day ...)

I don't know why I never thought of it before, but it suddenly hit me that it would make an excellent altered composition book cover! It's a nice "big" project that will allow the end user to get lots of enjoyment out of that gorgeous rose. So here's what I did:



I measured and cut carefully. Since this particular file folder has the rose design on only one side, it became my front cover. The back of the file folder was a coordinating print, and it became my back cover (see last picture). For the spine, I covered it with a coordinating green and then layered that with peachy-pink paper lace and gold trim.



Here's the inside. I covered those ugly multiplication charts with coordinating peach cardstock. I did the same thing to the inside back cover. See that ribbon? It's attached to the back cover (under the file folder paper) so you can keep your place in your journal.



And here's the back cover, as described above. As a finishing touch, I added gold leafing to the edges of the covers.

I tried a new product on this project, and I wish I had found it earlier. It's Elmer's Spray Adhesive, and it makes attaching all this paper soooo much easier than Mod Podge! I got a can of it at Ollie's for $2.99, which is a pretty good deal. After using it, I think I might even be willing to pay full price for it. (We'll see how long a can lasts!)

I really love this journal! It's in my Etsy shop, if you're interested (unless it's already been purchased by the time you read this). :)

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

good to know about the spray adhesive

your projects are so pretty - as usual!

jemilyea said...

I think I have some of that spray adhesive. I'll have to check. Do you ever have trouble with the paper over the spine coming loose during normal usage?

Christa said...

I don't usually have any trouble with the spines. Some ladies buy colored duct tape to use for theirs, but I didn't have any of that on hand.

Esther Asbury said...

Pretty, Pretty -- I especially like that ribbon bookmark!

 
;