Saturday, November 21, 2009

A kids' Thanksgiving craft

Yep, you guessed it - another house! Sorry about the quality of these pictures. I took them after the sun had gone down, so I had to lighten them a bit for you to see better.

My kids wanted to make their own houses like I've been making. I plan to let them make gingerbread houses, but I wanted to save that for December. So instead, they made Pilgrim houses and Pilgrim "dolls" to go with them.



Before they started coloring, I mentioned that Pilgrims wore plain-colored clothes, mostly black and white or brown. Well, my daughter took me quite literally and colored that one on the far right completely black - until I noticed and explained that their faces and arms were a regular color. :) So the hat and boots look right, but the rest of him? Well, let's just say that the kids say he's blind (since you can't even see his eyes). Seriously, they came up with that themselves.



Here you can see the house a little better. My son is a great colorer! (Not that my daughter isn't ... ) I don't know if you can see it or not, but I glued the cut-out Pilgrims onto mini dollpins so they'd hold up better.



And here you see that the box is actually functional. The Pilgrims fit inside so they don't get lost. We'll be making another Thanksgiving craft that goes with this, and it should fit inside, too.

In case you're wondering, I assembled the actual houses and let the kids glue on the doors and windows.

In case you'd like to make some of these, the Pilgrims are free kids' coloring pages I found here.

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

You sure are getting LOTS of mileage out of that box template! I guess the possibilities are endless --- aren't they? Cute ideas -- really like the idea of using it to make gift boxes!

 
;