Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Gift for a teenaged boy

I've had this gift done for awhile now, but I realized as I was cleaning out my folder of projects to share that I haven't featured it on my blog yet. So I will today! :)

I think everyone has a hard time figuring out what to give teenaged boys, especially when you don't have the money to just get them a gift card to their favorite store. Well, recently one of the young men in my Sunday school class turned 16. I had to come up with a gift at the last minute, and this is what resulted. He seemed very pleased, and was extremely surprised that I had made the packaging.



Here is the box closed ...



And here it is opened.

It fit 6 regular-sized Reese's peanut butter cups inside, which I just happened to have on hand.

I'm sure you won't be surprised when I tell you I recycled the bottom of a check storage box for the slide-out portion. It was actually my husband's great idea. The church checks had just come and had all these extra box bottoms. He offered them to me to see what I could make with them. They certainly made this project a lot easier!

All I had to do was measure the dimensions of the box and cut, score and fold a cover. Then I created my "tag" with a Tim Holtz rubber stamp (the truck), a Cloud 9 Designs sentiment, and blue pigment ink. I added industrial-looking snap-together grommets (I think that's what they're called) and tied a raffia bow through them.

I really like how it turned out!

4 comments:

kelly said...

very good idea. i wish I had your creativity.

Rhonda said...

my boys are past being teens but Reeses are their favorite candy and they would of loved this gift.
And my dad is an old truck fan so he would like it too.


you may of just found the perfect, masculine gift at a low cost.

Esther Asbury said...

I can see myself copying that idea! So cute!

Lisa Phillippi llelsik@aol.com said...

Hi! very cute project & Reces are my favorite!!!
Also wanted to tell you that the chipboard albus are now marked down to .70 cents -hope you can find some!

 
;