Thursday, July 16, 2009

A little late, but worth it!

I was playing around with some Cuttlebug dies today, trying to "think outside the box".

Ever since I saw the new releases from Spellbinders, I've been admiring the detailed, lacy look of the Fleur De Lis Pendants. Becca has been inspiring me even more with cards like this and this. But $25 (plus shipping!) for a few small dies isn't in my budget right now, and besides, why not try to use what I already had? It just makes sense!

So here is what I came up with. I thought it was an acceptable substitute, considering the fact that I had to pay absolutely nothing for it. :) I just love the lacy, intricate look!



I used one of my small Cuttlebug dies. I think it's called Antique Corners, but don't quote me on that. I'm sure you recognize it because it's widely available (even at Michaels).

I cut four of the corners and centered them over an extra-strong glue dot (by DAP, found at Ollie's). I liked it!! Then I got to wondering how it would look with another layer ...



So I did another layer exactly the same way, then peeled it off the backing and attached it right over top of the first one, making sure the points "filled in" where the previous ones weren't. I really, really liked it now! (Finished size: 2-1/2" diameter.)

The hardest part is peeling it off the backing, which is why I recommend a super-strong glue dot. I fiddled with it just a little bit, and it came off beautifully.

I've already been playing around with uses for it, which I'll share some other day. I also played around with another Cuttlebug die, and I like the results of that, too! I'll share more tomorrow.

9 comments:

mitch1066 said...

OH YOU ARE CLEVER!I have the same die but have never used it as fussy corners aren't my thing!
OOOH i'm thinking fun foam as christmas ornaments...the kids love using the cuttlebug.Thanks so much for the idea!!

wilma said...

This is really beautiful. I love when people come up with things like this that utilize what we already have in a very different and creative way. Thanks for sharing!!

Wilma

Susan said...

Beautiful! I don't know how you come up with these things! :)

Billie Dee said...

Wow! Very clever and imaginative. This I will try (at home). Thank you!

Sue D said...

I used my 50% Michaels coupon to buy this die and just made one up--so easy and elegant. I already had the glue dots from Ollies. Today is my church card making group and I will show all the ladies. Thanks again for such a great idea.

Deb Neerman said...

Tooooooooooo kewl! TFS with us!

Dainty Diva said...

Thank you for sharing. Saw this and had to try it. I just love the effect and how elegant it will look on a card or LO.

Unknown said...

Fabulous Idea!!! Wish I had thought of that! Looks like a wonderful snowflake. TFS!

kiwimeskreations said...

Love how you have layered these die cuts - I feel inspiration coming on. Thanks for sharing

 
;