Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dining room window treatment

Since I re-did my dining room chair covers and tablecloth, my husband suggested I make a window treatment as well. At first I made this as a straight-across valance with about a 16" drop. It looked blah. I was terribly disappointed.

Then I got to looking closer and decided a gathering stitch would improve it tremendously, so I pulled it up into the three gathers you see here, forming "swags." It definitely looked better, but it was still lacking something.

I don't remember who suggested tiebacks (my husband or me), but it was the stroke of genius that we needed. Once I made the tiebacks, it all came together to make a beautiful window treatment.

I couldn't be happier with my "new" dining room!

2 comments:

Mother said...

Wow, you did a great job! I'd like that kind of a valance in my dining room. I may pick up some fabric and have someone like yourself help me to make it. My living room could use a sprucing up!

Anonymous said...

Your newly redone dining room is so pretty! You did a fabulous job. The colors are gorgeous.

I don't sew and I'm not that crafty, but I enjoy seeing others' talented work, especially projects that are very thrifty yet beautiful.

 
;