Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Altered candle gift

Here's a simple, yet elegant gift and craft I made for my Secret Sister for Mother's Day. She loves pansies, but you could choose any design.




You will need a white pillar candle (mine is 6"), decorative tissue paper, heat gun (or hair dryer) and glitter glue.



First, cut the tissue paper to fit the candle.

Then wrap the tissue paper tightly around the candle and use the heat gun (or hair dryer) to melt the tissue paper into the candle wax all around. When you see it look wet, you know it's time to move on to another spot. It dries rather quickly, but give it a minute or two to set up before going on to the next step.

Once the wax is set again, use glitter glue to accent the decorations. I used gold glitter glue in the center of each pansy. You could also add a ribbon, charm or any other accent you desire.

If you have to buy the candle and the tissue paper, the cost is around $3. Since you'll have all that tissue paper leftover, you can make matching tissue paper flowers to surround it in a gift bag or other packaging!

Edited to add: From what I read elsewhere on the web, so long as the candle is one that burns on the inside, leaving a wax "shell" (like a pillar candle should), this should be safe to burn. However, burn it at your own risk - and be very careful that it doesn't get close to the outside edges.

3 comments:

Survivalwoman said...

Can This Candle Actually BE Used Safely or is it just for looks ?

Survivalwoman@gmail.com
http://survivalwoman.blogetery.com/

Christa said...

You know, that's a good question! I had "just for looks" in mind when I made it, but it is a candle. Perhaps I should include a note just to be safe.

What happens when you blow-dry it is that the wax melts to the front of the tissue paper, so I don't know if that would cause problems or not. If I come up with an answer, I'll be certain to post it!

Survivalwoman said...

Thanks I Will Keep Checking Back I Collect Candles in Hoards , But I Also Use Them Quite Often ( I Grew up without Electricity and have somewhat of a tendency to not use it when i Have it) LOL

S

 
;