Friday, May 9, 2008

Frugal Friday: homemade convenience food


My family loves garlic bread! Awhile back, I bought a package of the frozen kind to see what I could learn about what makes it so good. I think I've stumbled on a good substitute that's just as much of a convenience as the kind you buy already made.


You'll need: day-old French bread, spreadable butter, garlic salt and Parmesan cheese.

Slice the French bread into as thick a slice as you desire. I think mine average about 1/2" thick.

Sprinkle each slice liberally with Parmesan cheese and garlic salt. (Yes, I know this sounds a bit out of order, but bear with me.)

Then spread each slice with spreadable butter. You'll want to spread it a bit thick to trap the cheese and garlic salt underneath. This takes a little practice, but it gets easy after a few slices.

Then all you have to do is flash freeze them and put them into freezer bags. They're ready whenever you are! I have found the best success putting them in my toaster oven (around 350 degrees) for about 5 minutes. They are just as good as storebought, and much easier on the wallet!

Head on over to Biblical Womanhood for more great frugal ideas!

2 comments:

jemilyea said...

Mmmmm! I must try this and tell my mom about it. I grew up with spaghetti and garlic bread every Saturday night, and they still have it.

Niki Jolene said...

oooh that sounds good!

:)

 
;