Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Book Easel Card

My friend brought these gorgeous book-style easel cards to my attention a month or so ago, and I've wanted to make one ever since.



Since I'm not very fluent in the metric system (but I do know that there are 2.5 cm/in), I had to "wing it" on this first one.

My card is a standard 4-1/4 x 5-1/2". To make the easel part, cut the base cardstock to 5-1/2 x 8-1/2". Score the long side at 2-1/8" and 4-1/4". To see how to fold it (a Z-fold), see this tutorial.

To make the actual book part, use your base cardstock to cut a book shape (see the end of this post for a pattern I made) sized to 5-1/2" wide. Cut another book shape out of decorative paper, this one measuring anywhere from 5 to 5-1/4" wide.

Stamp any images you want first, then adhere dimensional tape to the middle of each book page on the back of the decorative paper. Thanks to Valita for that tip!

After you have the book how you want it, follow the SCS tutorial for how to attach it to the base. I had a hard time wrapping my mind around the folds until I had done one or two, so be sure you have it just right before you stick it down.

When it's folded up, it looks like this:



Isn't that neat? Before I made one of these easel cards, I always thought I'd have to include a note about how it stands on its own. But if you make one, notice how it kind of "pops up" when you pull it out of the envelope. I don't think it would take a rocket scientist recipient to figure out how to display it. :)



Enjoy!

3 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I wondered when you'd get around to making an easel book! Like that sympathy sentiment stamp -- the praying hands fit it perfectly.

DeeAnn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope it's a day full of wonderful memories and lots of beautiful blessings. Mine is on Sunday.

Little Birdie Blessings said...

This card is beautiful, it looks 3D. I think I'm going to make one of these. Thanks for the info. ~ Abby

 
;