Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas on a Budget, Part 5

Adults are sometimes a little harder to make or buy frugal gifts for. I'm a stickler for wanting to give gifts that will actually be used, not just set aside to collect dust.

So when I needed a gift for my Secret Sister, I went to my notes and saw that I had jotted down the fact that she takes notes at church. I've secretly noticed that she doesn't have any special notebook to use, so I determined to make her one from a composition book.

Originally I had thought of using a religious-themed stamp set that I have, but I couldn't come up with any ideas that I liked. So I pulled out the calendars and books I've bought to decorate these composition books, and I ran across this Thomas Kinkade print of a church. I bought two of his calendars at Wal-Mart this year for $1 each when they went on clearance. Perfect!

It couldn't be any easier! You can find full instructions here. All I used was two 12x12" sheets of blue paper and one calendar page.



Once I covered the front, I had some pieces of the artwork left. I just couldn't throw them away, even if they were mostly foliage. So I used those to cover up the "schedule" block inside the front of the composition book:



(Sorry the picture doesn't show up the best!) ... and the multiplication tables in the back:



As you can see, I don't like to waste much. :) She's going to love it! In fact, I'm tempted to make one for myself!

2 comments:

angie said...

I am so enjoying your Christmas on a Budget series. I too prefer to give gifts that will be useful to the recipient. And I love to use things I already have in my stockpile. Thanks for some great ideas.

Christa said...

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I had fun making so many gifts this year and thought someone else might benefit from some of the ideas. :)

 
;