Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools' Day Supper

I've never done anything special for April Fools' Day before, but since the kids are getting older, I thought I'd start a fun tradition. I'm pretty sure Family Fun does a "trick supper" feature every year. At least, they have as long as I can remember. This year, it was Fauxberry Pie and Shamburgers. Since the ingredients looked good, I decided to give them a try.

Here are the Shamburgers, which are really sugar cookie "buns" with peppermint pattie "burgers," colored shredded coconut "lettuce," and colored icing "ketchup" and "mustard":
And here is the Fauxberry Pie (really a meatloaf baked in a crust), first without the "icing":
and then with the "icing" (mashed potatoes with pureed beets):

And here's what they looked like on the table. My husband knew something was up, but he didn't figure it all out. That Fauxberry Pie is awfully convincing-looking!
I told the kids since it was April Fool's Day, we were going to eat the pie first and the hamburgers last (you know, dessert first!). They looked at me like I had lost my marbles, but there were no protests.

Since they're only 4 and 2, I actually had to explain to the kids that it really wasn't a sweet pie. (They looked a little confused after they tasted it.) But my husband knew as soon as he got a closer smell of the "pie". All in all, it was a lot of fun! I think we'll be doing something similar again next year.

2 comments:

Wifey said...

What a neat idea! I'll have to do something similar to that next year.

tlmcmurray said...

You always have such great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

 
;