Monday, July 16, 2012

Knitting: Hats for Rhode Island Homeless

Since we mostly send 100% animal fibers to South Africa, I chose another charity to use my acrylic yarns for. I decided on the Ravelry group Knit & Crochet for Rhode Island Homeless (most items go to Amos House), mostly because I can mail the items there inexpensively. There are so many worthy charity groups out there that I had to narrow it down some way, and postage costs helped me decide.

Every now and then I take a break from my animal fibers and pick up an acrylic that I need to use up. I have a pile of grey and burgundy acrylic that I picked up from a thrift store awhile back. Since Amos House needs donations for adults (whereas most of my other knitting focuses on children), I decided those were both good colors to use.

Here are a few of the hats that I have ready to send in my first box:


This pattern is the Chunky Dean Street Hat, available for free. It might not look like it, but this was fast, easy and super-fun!


This one looks very similar, and the only way I can tell the pictures apart is to look at the crown. It's called Malibu Bulky Mock Cable Hat, available for free on Ravelry. To make it an adult size, I cast on 80 stitches. This is another fast and fun hat.


This one is called simply Man Hat (free pattern). I made two of these, but the first one was a tight fit on my husband's head, so I added 8 stitches to the second one. It fit much better.


Last up is the Basic Bulky Manly Man Hat (free pattern). Let me tell you, this would fit a giant's head! I'm sure there are some homeless men with extra-large heads, though, so hopefully this will help out. Did you notice the brim is extra-long?


It can be folded up for extra warmth around the ears.

Well, that's all for my current hats for the homeless, but I'll be sure to post more as I finish them.

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

More great projects for charity- as always you do a great job!

 
;