Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Knitting: Tumbling Blocks Blanket for South Africa

Do you remember me mentioning the babies they're sending home in South Africa wrapped in newspaper? Well, I've been working on some blankets for them, in addition to the hats and socks.


The hospital isn't actually in Lesotho like I originally thought, but it is in South Africa. Since it's not quite as cold there as the mountains of Lesotho, we were able to use acrylic yarn for the blankets. If we made them out of wool, they would be entirely too expensive to ship (because they would be so heavy).

I made this with Lion Brand Cupcake yarn that I picked up at a thrift store within the last year. I had four skeins, but I only used a little more than 3-1/2 skeins. It was a good bit less yarn than the pattern called for, so I was a little nervous that I wasn't going to have enough. 

It all worked out, though, and I really love the blanket. I had a blast making, it, too, since it's done in entrelac.

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Wow -- your blanket looks wonderful! Looks like it took some time to make, but then again -- probably not for you...the expert knitter by now!

 
;