Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Homemade Gift: Crocheted Mum Dishcloths

I love to crochet. I've been crocheting since I was 12. However, I have a hard time finding projects that fill a need, rather than just sit around and look pretty. I've crocheted tons of afghans and doilies in my time, and most of the people I know have all they can use. As a result, I'm always on the lookout for crochet projects that serve a practical purpose, rather than a mostly decorative one.

That's why I was thrilled when my friend brought this project to my attention:

It might look like a doily, but it's really a dishcloth. After I made them and showed them to my friend, I discovered that I hadn't looked closely at the directions, and mine came out a bit different. They're supposed to look more like mums. Oh well, they're still pretty.


The last time Lily Sugar & Cream cotton went on sale, I picked up two skeins of it. I was able to make three of these dishcloths from them.

These were a gift for my Secret Sister. I made sure to include a note explaining that these were dishcloths and not doilies. :)

If you'd like to make some for yourself, you can find the free pattern at Lily's website. You'll have to register first (it's free). Then search for "Chrysanthemum Dishcloth".

My friend is great at presentation, so you really need to see how she packaged the ones she made. You can find it here on her blog.

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Those are great fall colors -- and I like the way yours turned out even if you didn't quite follow the directions to a "t."

 
;