Saturday, September 3, 2011

Dimensional Crocheted Flowers


Recently I was given two huge garbage bags full of small balls of yarn. I only accepted them because I was teaching my Sunday school girls how to crochet. However, there is more yarn there than we'll use in a lifetime of crochet lessons.

I thought about donating the small bits to the thrift store, but then I wondered who but me would actually do anything with them. They would probably get thrown away. So I decided to look up a few favorite crochet projects that can be made with small amounts of yarn.

I wasn't looking for your run-of-the-mill, no-name flowers, though. I wanted something really pretty. Something I might actually use on a project.

Well, I haven't tested them all out yet because I haven't had that much extra time. However, I did work up a few of them, and I thought I'd share them with you, just in case you're like me and have small bits of yarn lying around that you don't want to throw away.

1 - 5-Petal Flower from SkaMama's Bone Hook - almost 5" across (I used all one color on mine.)
2 - A Lovely Bunch from A Little Slice of Life - 2.5" across (I only made up one of the flowers; she used some in bouquets, and they're lovely!)
3 - Double Layer Daisy from Daisy Cottage Designs - 2.75" across (I used all one color, but it would be much prettier to use two. I was just experimenting to get an idea how much yarn it would use.)
4 - 6-Petal Puff Stitch Flower from Easy Makes Me Happy - 2.5" across

These are fun to make, and they take almost no time at all. What kind of projects would you use them for?

4 comments:

CraftyViolet said...

Thanks for the links. I've been collecting crochet patterns of flowers. I want to make some to use on my scrapbook pages.

Violet
www.craftyviolet.blogspot.com

Julia said...

I love the big one - so pretty!!!

Esther Asbury said...

Gorgeous! They'd be fun as hair accessories or embellishments on purses/other craft items.

Ginny said...

Thank you for providing the links to the patterns for these flowers! I've started crocheting flowers for my cards, and will be checking these out!

 
;