Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Homemade Gift: Cards from a Page a Day Calendar

My friend has several page-a-day calendars she has collected from thrift stores. After I saw how well they worked for cards, I've kept an eye out for them in my own thrifting adventures. I haven't had much luck until a few weeks ago. I found a Kinkade tear-off calendar (for 2011) with every page still intact. I'm not sure who decided not to use this, but it's their loss. I only paid $1 for it, and I got 365 beautiful images to use on cards.

Since these images are beautiful in their own right, I don't have to load the cards themselves with embellishments. This is especially nice for masculine cards, which is what I made first:



I usually give you closeups of the cards I make, but there's no way I was going to upload 18 cards that followed the same basic pattern. :) How about just one?



I simply went through the calendar and chose several images that I thought were particularly masculine (since they're some of the hardest cards to make). Then I paired them with papers that matched, left room for a sentiment (so they're more versatile), and I had 18 cards made in no time.

I may make the feminine cards a little fancier, but this format was perfect for these manly cards.

I did a similar project with a Mary Engelbreit book a few years ago, and I'm still not through with all of those notecards. (They come in very handy, though!)

3 comments:

Lee said...

Wonderful idea! love the card! thanks for the inspriation.

Esther Asbury said...

These would look great personalized with the recipients name on the bottom. Don't you just love finding good deals that can be used to make up a whole stash of cards?

Pamela said...

What a great way to use this calendar. I'll put this idea on my "thrift store list." I think Kinkade speaks to us all.

Adorable jean skirts, too. I love seeing what you do with the thrifted sheets.

Hope your summer has been filled with fun times.
Pamela

 
;