Friday, July 8, 2011

Easy, Flattering A-Line Skirts

I mentioned earlier in the week that I was planning to sew myself some skirts, since I don't like the fit of a lot of commercially-produced skirts. (I'm pretty hard to fit with my waist and hip measurements.)

I love my denim skirts, so I decided to try one in chambray. It has a lot of the same look, but it's easier to work with. I had a twin-size chambray sheet I picked up at a thrift store sometime last year, so I decided to give it a try.

I searched for online A-line skirt tutorials, and I came up with a few. I started off with this tutorial from Boulevard Designs, and I don't think I'll need to look any further. This is my favorite skirt in my wardrobe right now. It fits perfectly, drapes beautifully, and actually flatters my figure.

I don't know about you, but I had a hard time adjusting to my post-baby body. (It's been nearly eight years since I had my first child, and I'm just now coming to terms with it.) I lived for 25 years with a flat stomach and smallish hips, but that all changed after I became a mother. What made it even more difficult was the fact that I needed a junior size for my waist, but I couldn't fit a junior's lack of hips. :) This pattern solves all of those problems.

I got two skirts out of one twin-size sheet. My skirts are 31" long (before narrow hemming) with a waistband and invisible side zipper. I made both of them in one evening.

One commenter said that she felt like she needed to be wearing a 50's-style petticoat with hers. Mine is not that full, as you can tell from the photo. I walk fast and take big steps, so I do have to have plenty of room to walk. So I took a skirt that I knew gave me plenty of freedom, and I measured the width of it at the bottom. I came up with 80" total, which amounted to a 20" line on my pattern.

If you try this pattern, too, I'd love to see your results (even though it's not my pattern). I'm a very visual person, and I've been wondering what it would look like in a gingham. I've always wanted a yellow or red gingham skirt, so I'd love to see this done in a print.

I'm linking to ... Upcycled Awesome,






A Marvelous Mess




homework


 http://www.thethriftyhome.com


Photobucket

8 comments:

Lee said...

I love the skirt! perfect fit -isnt that wonderful! I think it would look great in a print.

Esther Asbury said...

Fits you perfect! Glad you found something that works for you!

jemilyea said...

The skirt looks good. I'm glad you've found a pattern that suits you. I bookmarked the tutorial, although since I succumb to a lot of $.99 pattern sales at the fabric stores, I'm not sure I need another pattern!

Will you be giving a report on Cousins Camp 2011?

Christa said...

Yes, I am planning to share about Cousin Camp. It got pushed back a little further than I had planned, since I have quite a few projects going on right now. I'll try to get to it before the summer is out! :)

Unknown said...

Lovely and the pattern looks simple enough. I agree with the "coming to terms with post baby body"- I am still working on that myself.
Maybe we will try this pattern, too!

Ginny said...

I've bookmarked the blog post for future reference. I am going through old sheets, deciding which ones to get rid of, so perhaps I can use an old one to make a muslin. I'll also share the pattern with my eldest daughter, who wears skirts all the time; this might be perfect for her, too!

Kathy, Jeff's Wife said...

Very, VERY nice!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Hi, Sophia! Thanks for sounding off about the 2-step verification by google. Btw, the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop became the coolest party on the block because of your participation. Thank you!

 
;