Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Homemade Christmas #4: Homemade Sewing Kits

I helped my mom and sister put together some gifts this year, and my niece got several of the homemade things. She's going to love them!

She is nine years old, but she's already wanting to learn to sew and cook and whatnot. To capitalize on that (and make things a little easier for my sister), I decided to put together some sewing kits for gifts.



This first kit is a doll quilt kit. The idea is to learn to hand quilt with this. In the package are a length of quilt-look fabric (no seams), the same size fleece (in place of batting), and the same size muslin (for the backing). I also included a 3x5" card with basic instructions, and there's a nice-sized hand quilting hoop that's going with it. (I got a good deal on four or five of them for $5 at Salvation Army awhile back. I needed the quilting stand, but the other ones were just sitting here as extras.)

My sister quilts, so there are lots of needles and hand quilting thread on hand. If you want to do something similar in a family that doesn't quilt, I would suggest you add a card of hand quilting needles and a spool of hand quilting thread.

She is getting two of these kits - one for her and one to give as a gift to her little sister. This niece loves to give gifts, almost more than she likes to receive them. (Yes, she's a gem!) :)




Here is a fairly simple beginning sewing project - a rag quilt purse kit. I pre-cut all the squares of fabric and fleece. She will follow the instructions I enclosed to sew it all together.

If you're using a strong color, you might consider adding a spool of matching thread to this gift. For the fabrics I chose, white will work just fine, so I didn't bother including any.



Lastly, here is a pillowcase apron kit. All I had to do for this one was print out a tutorial I found online and include a nice, bright pillowcase from my stash. That was easy!

I had a whole file full of ideas for kits to give her, but I ran out of time. Perhaps I'll make them as kits for her birthday or next Christmas.

6 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Cute, Cute idea! I'm sure your niece will LOVE these gifts!

Esther Asbury said...

BTW - awarding you the Stylish Blogger Award - for more info about it go to my blog....http://estherscardcreations.blogspot.com/

Erika Mulvenna said...

Wonderful idea for gifts! And I love how you wrapped them up, too!

jemilyea said...

I'm your niece (and her mom) will enjoy these gifts. It's a great idea. And -- Merry Christmas! I haven't mailed out any cards yet this year.

CraftyViolet said...

Great idea! Way to go!

Unknown said...

Nice work This is a very preety Doll quilt. it’s the best gift for my girl friend she felt very happy after seeing the doll.

 
;