Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Homemade Christmas #1: Elegant Candleholder

Once again, I'm making a lot of my gifts this year. I've had a lot of help from people online who've figured some of these things out, so I'll link to them as I use their projects.

This first project is one you might recognize:



I made this as a thank you gift for the lady who was my Secret Sister from church. It's pretty tall, about 18". The best part? I paid about $2.25 for everything to make it, except the E6000 glue which goes a very long way. (I had it on hand already.)

I got the base at my favorite thrift store for $0.25, the glass part at a yard sale for $0.50, the candle on clearance at Michaels for $1, and the river rocks at Dollar Tree for $0.50 (I used half a package). I've had the ribbon for awhile now and already used a bunch of it, but I do know that it originally came from Dollar Tree.

The concept is simple: combine a candlestick (or other footed pedestal) with a glass candleholder to make an elegant candlestick/hurricane holder. There is a great video tutorial on Dollar Store Crafts, if you need a visual.

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I really like the idea of a homemade Christmas --- next year I need to start earlier so as to accomplish that! I did manage to get a few things done, but wish I had time for several more!
Those white rocks add a lot to your Christmas hurricane holder -- dressing it up right nice!

 
;