Saturday, August 8, 2009

Another teen-aged boy gift

Since I teach the youth Sunday school class, I have lots of use for inexpensive, yet pleasing, birthday gifts for young people. As I said before, guys are the hardest! But here's another gift similar to the last one I made for one of my Sunday school teenagers.



Again, I used the bottom of a check box (mine came blank) to make a slider box. The digital image is from Leaves of Time, that new-to-me clip art/digital image site I just posted about last night. The sentiment is from Studio G.

I used my BIC Mark-Its to color the image. Then I used a Stampin Up color spritzer tool ($3 from a yard sale) with a regular blue marker for the sponged sky effect. Then I used cheapo Dollar Tree gold glitter glue to mimic sand. I squeezed a dab onto the image and then rubbed it around with my finger. It was perfect! It gave me the glittery look of sand, as well as the texture.

Here's a little closer look at that:



And here you can see what I filled it with ...



... a half dozen of the best chocolate chip cookies known to mankind. (Yes, they're that good, and no, the recipe isn't original with me. You can find it here. I don't make them mammoth-sized.)

I think he'll like it. :)

2 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

That is the very image that caught my eye....my thoughts were that I'd be back to that sight and probably download that pic first!
By the way, beautiful job on the box. I have never known a man to turn down homemade goodies. I use them A LOT in my gifts here, and they are ALWAYS a hit!

Christa said...

I figured you'd like that one. I thought of you as soon as I saw it! :)

 
;