Monday, November 15, 2010

Craft Room Reorganization Part 3

Last time, I showed you my work table. Today I'm going to go to the right of that. I have a small room, but that comes in handy because I don't have far to "travel" to get to any of my supplies.



This bookcase is on the wall that connects to the one where my worktable is stationed. Althought it might not look like it, everything here is completely reorganized by album type (strap-hinge, postbound) and which album it goes to (family, son's, daughter's). I should have done this ages ago because it finally inspired me to work on some scrapbook pages!



At the top of the bookcase, I used to have tons of magazines sorted into magazine holders. The problem was that I never looked at them, so it was wasted space. I donated them to the thrift store and am now using this spot for my finished albums, since 12x12" albums are taller than most bookcases allow.



Here is my paper scraps solution. I'm not sure if I've shared this before, but I've been using it for awhile now and it works great for me. I used to store all my scraps in with my regular un-cut paper. But the scraps all went to the bottom of the files, and my good paper was getting bent and wrinkled looking for scraps. Instead, I dedicated a magazine file to each rainbow color and file my scraps accordingly. Basically, if it's less than 8.5 x 11" (once it's cut into), it goes in here.



Lastly (for today), I had an awful time trying to figure out what to do with my TONS of 12x12" paper. I've had them in hanging files for years and this works best for me. However, I had collected so many 25-sheet packs from Tuesday Morning (for $1.99 each, BTW), that I had outgrown the hanging file capacity of my organizer. I had as much paper stacked beside my organizer as I had filed in my organizer. [I love paper. Can you tell?]

12x12" paper organizers are not cheap! A few years ago, I splurged and bought this $50 cart at Staples when it was on sale. I was disappointed later when I realized that it wasn't designed to hold the same size paper on the bottom.

See, there was originally a bit of a platform at the base of this, and it interfered with the bottom inch or so of my 12x12" hanging paper. After researching my options for hanging 12x12" files and deciding they were all out of my price range, I consulted with my husband on my options for this rolling cart.

I had measured and discovered that I could fit an entire row underneath if I somehow managed to get rid of that platform, but I had no idea how to go about doing that. I'm glad I asked my husband, though, since he's the one that put the cart together. That "platform" slid right off! I was a little worried that it might compromise the strength of the cart by doing that, but my husband pointed out that there's still plenty of support -- and besides, I'm not yanking this thing around my room a lot.

You probably noticed the smaller hanging files on the top. They are a necessary evil (old 10x12" CM paper that I wanted to keep separate), but I can still easily get to the bottom row of paper.

I don't know if you can see it very well, but I attached another one of those closet belt organizers to the side of the cart. I hung my clipboards from it. Perfect!

I'll share more tomorrow!

0 comments:

 
;