Thursday, November 18, 2010

Apples and Denim Rag Quilt Purse



This is what I've been up to for the last several days - rag quilt purses! These are so easy and cute that I've made nine so far (averaging 1 or more a day). I'd have more done, but I need to run to the store to replenish my thread and fleece/batting supplies first!

This was my very first bag, and I used rag bag jeans and leftover fabric from my scrap bin. 100% cotton fabric works best. If you're working with boys' jeans, it will probably take both legs (front and back) to complete one of these purses, along with a coordinating fabric, of course. If you're using men's jeans, you should be able to get what you need from one leg (front and back).

Since jeans "rag" so well, I chose to use the seams of the pants for the actual purse handles. I thought it was a cute effect, since the purse handles can now "rag" with the rest of the purse.

In case you're looking for an excellent tutorial, check out this youtube series.
I don't have the die she used, and I didn't want to have to buy it. So I just used regular old scissors and cut my squares to 4" square.

I also didn't add a closure to this first one because I didn't think it needed it.

Just a tip if you've never made a rag quilt before: get a pair of spring action scissors to do the last snipping step, or you'll have blisters before long!

I'll show you some more purses I've made in the next few days. I have to pace myself because I still want to have time to make more! ;)

These are excellent, low-cost gifts. Since I used fabrics from my recycling/scrap bin, the only cost I have in this one is the thread (which I already had on hand) and the fleece that I used instead of batting, as well as about an hour and a half of my time (from cutting out squares to snipping the finished seams).

For the fleece, I just bought a 28" square baby fleece blanket from Dollar Tree and cut it into 3" squares. You should be able to get 4 purses out of one blanket, bringing the fleece cost to $0.25. I know several nieces that would love to get these as gifts - and they probably will!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I found your blog when searching for tutorials to make these rag purses. I am making them for graduation gifts!

Thanks for the idea about using fleece instead of batting for the middle layer- batting is so expensive!

 
;