Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cards using clip art

I just colored these images in the last few days and got inspired to make some cards with them.

Have you heard about the new term "digital stamp"? I'm convinced it's a term someone came up with to make stampers part with more of their money! :) Well, maybe not really, but I'm reading a lot of posting on the stamping boards about these digital stamps.

And you know what? They're just glorified clip art. I read about a lot of people objecting to that statement, but it's true ... with one clarification. These digital stamps (aka clip art) have to be very clear, with no stray marks or incomplete lines. Not all clip art would qualify, but you'll find a surprising amount that does.

So I'm happy to pick up free clip art to use on my cards. To me, it's the same concept as buying a store brand instead of a name brand. It doesn't bother me one bit because I'm not brand-conscious. It matters to some people, so I'll let them pay for theirs.



This darling reading "fairy" is a coloring page from Elizabeth O. Dulemba. She is cute and very high-quality!

I made my card background with four coordinating prints. I love the look, and since I couldn't decide which of the four papers to use, I used them all. They all came out of one of those massive paper pads that I got at Big Lots for $7. The corners are from my Cuttlebug Vintage die.



This image came from Dover Publications. I signed up for their weekly e-mail, and this is one of the freebies I got one week. I highly recommend signing up for this because they send out quite a few samples each week. Not all of them are clip art, but there's lots your kids will enjoy, too.

Anyway, this came from their Classic Tattoo Designs book. I have a niece who is crazy about horses, but isn't a cowgirl type. So this was perfect for her, and I played up the feminine frillies as much as possible. She'll be 15 this year, and I think she'll really like this card.

I backed it with 1/2 of a paper oval doily I found at Dollar Tree (pack of 20/$1). The flourish cut-outs are from my Cuttlebug Floral Borders. I just cut them apart to use them like this. The flowers came from a kit my Secret Sister bought me, and the center is a bead cap I found at Dollar Tree (30/$1). The punched border is my EK Success Fleur de Lis border punch.



This one was super-easy. The image was also from Dover, a publication called Favorite Flowers Clip Art. Again, I used my EK Success Fleur de Lis border punch. I tied the heart charm (Dollar Tree - 8/$1) on with a sheer pink ribbon.



I got this tree from a free clip art site, but I can't remember which one for the life of me. I really like it, though! If I ever run across it again, I'll post a link to it. (ETA: Here is the link!) This one is another very high-quality image, just as good as any digital stamp you might buy.

I used the same four papers as a previous card (you'll see them on a few more). The corner stamp is from Studio G, and the sentiment is from Stampin Up (Wonderful Words).



Here's another Dover freebie, from their Floral Beauty coloring book. I added the Studio G sentiment to the basket. Again, I used the four different papers for the background and the same Studio G corner stamp.



And yet another image from Dover's Floral Beauty coloring book. I used another Studio G sentiment on the mug, the same four papers on the background, and the Cuttlebug Vintage corner dies.

I'm having fun! :)

2 comments:

Susan said...

Really nice cards, Sophia! I love how you make so much with such frugal choices.

Esther Asbury said...

Very, very pretty! Got to love those coloring page "stamps!"

 
;