Thursday, March 27, 2008

Gardening: Day Two

We finished raking the garden today! While it was back-breaking work (I ended up sitting in the dirt sifting through piles of it just to relieve my back), it was refreshing, too. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed doing this as a family. We were so much more relaxed, even as we worked so hard, and were able to talk and share from the heart. I couldn't have asked for more! Even my kids got in on the action again today.

Today I also picked up most of the seeds I need for this growing season. I'm going to do a little experiment.

Have you ever wondered how those 10/$1 seed packets at the dollar store stack up to the $1.07 Burpee seeds at Wal-Mart (or wherever you buy your seeds)? I certainly have! So when I saw them today, I figured for $0.10 I could afford to make a mistake or two. So I got a packet of beet seeds from both Burpee and the cheap-o seeds. I'll keep you posted on how they turn out!

They seem to be the same exact type of seed - down to the exact name. The main difference I see right now is that the $0.10 packet doesn't seem to have as many seeds in it. Again, I'll let you know how it goes.

On a lighter note ... I was reminded again today of my shock the first year we were here and I had a garden. After a friend tilled the ground for me, and I raked all the weeds out, I couldn't believe what the soil looked like. I called my dad and told him it looked like a beach - which it did! I've been used to the dark, rich PA soil. This Eastern shore soil shocked me a bit, but it really does grow things! (Surprise, surprise.)

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Would it be possible for you to post a drawing of how you are laying out your garden. I am interested in starting one, but I don't know how to best do it.

Wifey said...

My mom has always bought some of the $.10 seeds, and they grow pretty well.

Christa said...

Sharon - I'll see if I can get a good picture of my hand-drawn sketch and post it soon!

 
;