Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Cousin Camp 2008: Food

Here it is: the last post of the planning stages of Cousin Camp. I might add other ideas later, as I find them, but this is the end of my "blog series" on Cousin Camp. I hope it's helped you some. Remember, you can always use the ideas for something else - like summer activities for your own kids.

So what are we going to feed this small army for a week (8 kids and up to 4 adults)? I took the successes from last year, added a few more ideas in place of the "failures," and here's what I came up with:

Breakfasts
Tuesday - cold cereal
Wednesday - waffles (made ahead and frozen)
Thursday - cold cereal
Friday - pancakes (made ahead and frozen)
Saturday - cold cereal (I'm including Saturday just in case everyone wants to wait to make the trip back home.)

Lunches
Tuesday - lunchmeat sandwiches, chips, fruit (for a picnic)
Wednesday - macaroni and cheese, hot dogs
Thursday - lunchmeat sandwiches, chips, fruit (for a picnic - this is subject to change)
Friday - grilled cheese sandwiches, tomato soup

Suppers
Monday - hamburgers, French fries, soda
Tuesday - Tuna Noodle Casserole (with peas - they requested this last year!)
Wednesday - sloppy joes, chips, soda
Thursday - taco salad
Friday - pizza, chips, soda

Snacks
Monday - Chex Mix
Tuesday - homemade soft pretzels (made ahead and frozen)
Wednesday - Watermelon Sorbet
Thursday - Chocolate Yummies (I found this recipe in a Rice Krispies advertisement, and it looks fabulous!)
Friday - funnel cakes (homemade)

No, this wouldn't qualify for the most nutritious menu for a week, but I really doubt a week of eating like this is going to kill them ... Or at least it shouldn't harm them as much as starving, which they most certainly would do if I introduced a bunch of foreign-to-them foods which they would refuse to eat.

As a side note, my garden should be producing something at this point (not sure exactly since I don't have the dates nailed down yet), so I aim to offer whatever I might have fresh from the garden in addition to what's on the menu.

0 comments:

 
;