Saturday, March 22, 2008

Egg Hunt and Coloring Eggs 2008

Even though it was freezing cold and windy today, we had our egg hunt since tomorrow is busy with a baby shower in the afternoon. The kids had a blast. My daughter was right with me when I hid the eggs, but you never would have guessed it when it came time to find them! My son managed to quickly get his half of the eggs and then helped my daughter find the rest of hers. (Any that they found after that were hers and went into her basket.)

Kids' perspectives on things are sometimes amusing. I put a dollar bill in two of the smallest eggs, hoping they would each find one. However, my daughter managed to find both of those. So when they were opening the eggs, I suggested that my son swap a piece of candy for the second dollar bill. My daughter was fine with that. But my son would have none of it. To him, that fun-sized candy bar was worth more than the dollar bill.


Then this evening we colored eggs from a kit I got on clearance last year for $0.10. I'm either brave or stupid trying to color eggs with a 2- and 4-year-old, but everything went well and no eggs got broken. My 2-year-old spilled the dye all over the table and herself a few times, but it all washed up easily. They were so proud of these eggs! Next year I'll show them the magic of a crayon. I wasn't ready for that yet. I kept envisioning a dozen cracked eggs and my kids' demands to boil more.

2 comments:

jemilyea said...

So how do you color eggs? I've never done it and always assumed the eggs were boiled first.

Christa said...

Oh, yeah ... I forgot to mention I hard-boiled them the day before. :) I got these kits with color tablets on clearance last year for $0.10 or $0.20. You just add the tablet to 1/2 cup water and 1 teaspoon vinegar. When we were growing up, we just used hot water, some vinegar (I have no idea what amount), and food coloring. Ours looked just as good as these - sometimes even better!

 
;