Monday, February 6, 2012

Knitting: Sweaters for Charity

I've been enjoying knitting so much lately, but I can only use so many knitted items for me and my family. When I heard about an organization that takes children off the streets of India, feeds them, clothes them, and gives them an education, I wanted to help out with their call for children's sweaters. They recommended the Knit for Kids sweater pattern in sizes 2 or 4.

If you've never made one of these, you wouldn't believe how incredibly small these kids are - and to be living on the streets! When I finished the first pink sweater, I showed it to my own children, holding it up to my small-built 6-year-old daughter. It was too small even for her, and they were shocked that children this small were living on the streets of India.

I was able to make this first pink sweater with machine-washable wool I had picked up on a recent thrift store trip, but it was all the wool I had in my stash at that point. However, the coordinator assured us that acrylic sweaters would be just as appreciated, so I got to work on a second sweater.

I had been given these coordinating Red Heart Super Saver yarns a few months ago, and there was just enough yardage to make a sweater. Several people have mentioned that this yarn softens up nicely in the wash, so I was happy to be able to use it for a good cause.

I also managed to make one more sweater before their February 2nd deadline, but I forgot to take pictures of it before the shipping box was sealed. It was a brown sweater, using a tweed yarn for the bottom and solid brown for the top.

They have an ongoing need for these sweaters, so I'm hoping to be able to make some more in the months ahead and ship them out three or so at a time. That way, they'll have some ready for the next trip they make.

3 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I'm sure they'll appreciate your generous donation.

Unknown said...

I have been knitting sweaters for this project as well! I love it, and it is for such a good cause. I hope you continue to knit sweaters.

Christa said...

I'm so glad to hear of someone else helping out! I certainly do plan to knit more sweaters for them. :)

 
;