Thursday, August 28, 2008

Happy birthday to me!

My parents are down visiting for the week, and we had fun for my birthday today.

The original plan was to go to the beach and see the wild horses. But Mom woke up feeling pretty badly (she has a heart condition), so we changed plans. She thought she could handle thrift stores, so that's what we did today.

My grandmother is also visiting, and she absolutely loved going to all the thrift stores with us. She picked up a few things and was so delighted that she had so much fun and spent under $2 the whole day!

My parents scored some good deals, not the least of which was a Baby Born "drink and wet" doll in a fairy dress that looked brand-new (the doll and the dress). The price: $0.25.

I'm a little disappointed that our local Salvation Army will stop accepting and selling toys in a few weeks, but I did enjoy the "75% off all toys" sale going on! I got some Discovery Toys pre-reading games, a child-sized Hot Wheels puzzle (62 pieces and complete!), two Tonka truck Easter baskets, a fancy N-Strike Nerf gun (complete with a clip) and quite a few "$0.10 bin" items for under $1 total.

We had a picnic lunch at the park. It was fun, even though the yellow jackets were trying their best to steal our soda in cans! I made two subs out of French rolls (from the discount section at Wal-Mart), and they were the best homemade subs I've ever had. I cut the rolls down the middle and spread them with salad dressing. Then I added some of my home-sliced ham, cheese, shredded lettuce, salt and pepper. The French roll must have made the biggest difference!

My husband made supper for us so I wouldn't have to cook on my birthday. Hey, hot dogs and baked beans sounds pretty good when you get a break from cooking! :)

4 comments:

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Sounds like a great day!!! Happy Belated Birthday!!

Sharon said...

Sounds like a great birthday.

Rhonda said...

Happy birthday to you!

I thought of you when I went to Dollar Tree today, but did not find any of the $1 Leggs like you got.

Christa said...

Rhonda,

I haven't found the pantyhose in any of the other DTs, either. I'm not sure if they all got some or just one store - or even why ... I'm just glad I got some! :)

 
;