Thursday, August 14, 2008

Cousin Camp 2008: Day Three

Thursday went much more like we had planned, thanks to weather that mostly cooperated. In the morning, we did our Personality Box craft.

We started with these:

Everyone went through old magazines looking for pictures, sayings, anything that said something about them. Then we cut them out and glued them collage-style onto the outside (and some even put some inside) of the boxes.


Here are the finished lids:
And the finished fronts of a few of them:




As you can see, some of them really got into the project, while others went with minimal decoration. It was all okay, since it really says a lot about their personalities either way. :)

However, in hindsight, I would recommend making a sample of any craft projects so they have a better idea of what the finished project should look like. They weren't familiar with the idea of a collage, so a sample would have helped tremendously.

The afternoon was spent in indoor games, none of which went very well. The launcher broke on the first try for one game, and they didn't seem to be in the mood for the competition involved in the other two games. Oh well! I'll have to try to remember to stick to non-competitive games in the future.

That evening, we hid the treasure stones. I put erasers inside the girls' rocks and army men inside the boys' rocks, so I had to distinguish between the two. I decided to use my paint pens to place either a blue dot (for boys) or a red dot (for girls) on top of each stone so they'd know if it was for them or not. Also, I put a limit on how many stones they could collect, just to be fair to everyone.

Once they had found the stones (not an easy feat, since I hid them in the grass and they look just like rocks), I told them to break them apart. They knew there was something special about them from the beginning (why else would I have them search for rocks?). The reactions ranged from a, "Cool," reaction to a "Wow! Look at this!" reaction. I think they really liked the concept.



I also think my youngest nephew (seen above) thought I was a little off my rocker putting these army men inside stones. :)

At the end of the day, we had Chocolate Yummies for our snack. I can't recommend them enough! We ate the whole pan, and we could have eaten another. (Good thing I only made one pan!) This is the yummiest treat I've had in a very long time!

0 comments:

 
;