Monday, March 31, 2014

Knitting: A "Sampler' Shawl


Yes, I've been on a lace shawl kick! :) After I found this fantastically soft sweater at a thrift store and recently unraveled it, I had the idea of making my daughter and I matching shawls for our Easter and Mother's Day outfits.

I was inspired by a few things. First of all, my daughter has been twirling around in the other shawls I've made, begging for one of her own. Secondly, I happened to notice that this color perfectly matches last year's Easter/Mother's Day outfits that we both can still fit. (You know I'm all about thriftiness, and updating last year's outfits for a fresh look is very thrifty.) Thirdly, I wanted to use this yarn because it's so soft that I couldn't wait to work with it.

The pattern I used is designed to make a shawl that would come close to fitting Goliath's mother, if she was anywhere near his size. ;) I'm not, and my daughter is even smaller than I am. So I browsed through the projects and found a few people who had scaled back the size a bit, and I followed their lead. This still turned out a lot bigger than I expected, but not too big for me.


This is a closeup of the beginning of the shawl (section 1 is called stars and section 2 is called blossoms) ...


... the middle of the shawl (leaves) ...


... and the edge of the shawl (called owls, but you have to look at them upside-down to see the owl faces; at this angle, they look like fox faces to me).

I can't even begin to tell you how lovely this is in person. It's even nicer than it looks in pictures, and it's so dreamy soft.

This was a pretty fast knit - it took me four days.

You can view my detailed notes on my Ravelry project page.

4 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Beautiful! It looks so soft and feminine!

Unknown said...

Oh it's beautiful!! Gorgeous lace work. I need to get more confident reading lace charts so I can have a go at it lol

CathieJ said...

Oh my goodness, that shawl is a show-stopper. You are quite a talented knitter. I found you on A baby's smile. You have a great blog.

Unknown said...

Beautiful!! What a lovely accessory it will be.

 
;