Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Knitting: Baby Alpaca Shawl


I decided to finally use the baby alpaca yarn that has been sitting in my stash for a year or so. Because it's so fine (fingering weight), I chose to make a shawl.


I love Estonian lace!! The nupps (like bobbles) aren't nearly as difficult as they sound, and the end result is nothing short of stunning.


This is a close-up of the pattern in the body of the shawl.


And here is a closeup of the edging with the nupps.

I did manage to drop two stitches in the process of making this, and I didn't discover them until I was blocking the shawl. (If you look at that first picture, you can see the stitch markers holding them in place until it was dry.) Fortunately, I was able to work them back in and secure them with extra yarn.

I have enough yarn left to make another shawl just like this, but I'll probably choose a different pattern just for variety's sake.

This was a free pattern, if you're interested. I managed to knit it in six days, so it's really not as difficult as it may look. I wouldn't recommend it for a new knitter, but if you're at least an advanced beginner, I think you could manage it.

You can see all the details on my Ravelry project page.

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Wow -- Your shawl looks so delicately done. You amaze me with your knitting!

 
;