Friday, January 17, 2014

Knitting: Turnstone Pullover

This pattern caught my eye in the Knit Picks catalog a few months ago, and I was shocked to discover that it’s seamless. I knew I had to knit this!

Since I’m so petite, I thought I'd have to adapt the pattern for length in the body section. After it was finished, I realized that I shouldn't have. It feels a tad too short when I wear it, but I doubt anyone else would notice.


As you can see from the photos, I didn’t get a huge dolman sleeve effect, like a few other knitters complained about. I didn’t change a thing on the sleeves (except for length, which I also got just a tad short), so I’m not sure why mine didn’t turn out that way. Believe me, I’m not complaining.

One more note on the pictures: I’m wearing a “shell” under the sweater. Since I have scoliosis, my shoulders are a bit “off”, and the shell is crooked. I usually try to correct this, but I didn’t notice it until I uploaded the pictures. So it’s not the fault of the sweater - it’s just the way I’m made. :)

Since I have such a hard time getting a good fit, I opted to do both side seams before starting on the sleeves. Others mentioned this, so I took their advice.

For the sleeve cuffs and bottom edging, I worked a turning row halfway through and attached it (i.e. hemmed it) as I bound off. I don't care for how it turned out (the cuffs were so hard to get lined up correctly), so next time I'll either follow the pattern's instruction and sew it up by hand, or I'll do ribbing instead. As they are, the cuffs just feel like they puff out and hamper the line of the sweater. I followed the pattern as written for the top edge, since there is increasing and decreasing involved, and I didn’t want it to bunch up.


Yes, there will be a next time. I LOVE this sweater!

1 comments:

jemilyea said...

So cheerful for these cold winter days! I knitted stripes for the first time a few months ago, but it will be awhile before I tackle a sweater.

 
;