Wednesday, January 8, 2014

DIY Josefina's Clothes

Last November, a friend of mine contacted me about making some accessories for her granddaughters' Christmas gifts - American Girls Josefina and Kaya. I was thrilled to be able to help her out, but I did it on such short notice that I was afraid I hadn't taken any pictures of the results.

I found these pictures the other day and decided to share them before I forget.

The outfit pictured above (minus the doll watch, which is my dd's) was made using the old Pleasant Company sewing patterns. If I ever make this lovely blouse again, I'll be buying pre-ruffled trim instead of ruffling those tiny pieces by hand. Other than that, it was pretty easy.


I also made the satiny shawl from the Pleasant Company patterns, but you really don't need a pattern for a triangle with fringe. It didn't have any pattern in the fabric, and I didn't have any appropriate appliques, but I really like how it turned out anyway.




We had found Josefina's oven at a thrift store, and my daughter was happy to part with it if she earned a little bit of money on it, so I just had to make up the accessories that were missing. I did two loaves of bread (one "baked", one "unbaked"), two stones for grinding, three Indian corn heads, and six chili peppers. They're not the most realistic ever, but they're pretty good for a beginner on a tight schedule.

My friend was thrilled with these, and I hope her granddaughters were, too.

3 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Wow -- that blouse is super cute! (I wouldn't mind to have on in adult size!) I'm sure your friend's grand-daughters were thrilled!

Mary @ Eat Drink and Be Mary said...

I love this. I was a huge American girl doll fan when I was younger--too cute!

Anonymous said...

That is adorable, you are very talented!

 
;