Friday, February 8, 2013

A Different Knit Lamb for Operation Christmas Child


Here's another version of a lamb, and these are my favorite. I made this pattern in two sizes by simply varying the yarn and needle sizes. I followed the same instructions and used the same number of rows for both of them.


I made the bigger guy first. (Sorry that the color is a little off, but he is indeed off-white.) I used worsted weight yarn and size 5 needles for him. He turned out really cute, but I wanted something just a little bit smaller so I could fit more in the shoeboxes.


Then I made his "little brother" with sportweight yarn and size 3 needles. He's the perfect size!

For the larger lamb, I didn't attach the arms and legs according to the pattern (so that they rotate). I've always been a bit leery of this construction, fearing that the arms and legs would fall off easily. But after unsuccessfully trying to break this acrylic yarn with my hands, I'm pretty confident that these arms and legs aren't going anywhere. So I made the smaller one with "jointed" arms and legs. I like them better that way, and they're actually easier to attach.


This picture is a bit washed-out, but I just had to show you his cute little face. I used French knots with DMC floss for the eyes and simple embroidery (if you can call it that) with scrap yarn for the nose and mouth.

Believe it or not, this is also a free pattern: Fuzzy Mitten Lamb by Barbara Prime. After knitting this lamb a few times, I've put a few of her paid patterns on my wish list. They are very thorough and well-written, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to you.

2 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

What a cute little lamb! I really like the little white one -- cute, cute, cute!

Michele T said...

OMG!!!! These are simply adorable! Love 'em to bits!

 
;