Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Knitting: Hat Transformed with Kool-Aid

I have another Kool-Aid project to share with you today! This hat started out looking like this:

Remember my "skunk socks"? This is the same yarn. Oh, how I wish I had known about this before I sent off that last box!

I dyed this hat with one packet of Lemon Lime Kool-Aid, and I love the transformation!

This particular hat has an attached scarf, perfect for little ones who tend to pull them off. It's also perfect for the children of Lesotho, who live in a very cold climate.

And here's a picture of the dyed hat next to a small sample of the original yarn. (Please excuse the bluish tint of the photo.)

If you're interested, I used the free Toasty Topper pattern by Alexis Riggs.

2 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I never would have thought of Kool-aid as a dye! What you won't think of next! I'm curious: Doesn't this wash out or fade when wet?

Christa said...

No, it won't wash out. It might fade just a bit over time, but it shouldn't fade much.

I washed these socks after I dyed them, just to make sure I had done it right. There wasn't even a hint of red in the water, and I washed them in hot water. :)

 
;