Monday, January 14, 2019

My First Cards in Years

It's been a few years since I've made any cards. I got some time this past week to play around with my new-to-me Silhouette Cameo, so I thought I'd share my first rusty attempts at cardmaking.


I mostly have a need for birthday cards for our church people. A lot of the men in our congregation are (or were) hunters, so this buck silhouette was the perfect starting point for a birthday card. I got the idea for using the "Make a Wish" sentiment from Pinterest, and I thought it was especially appropriate for a buck with a rack this size.

I mimicked the nailheads on the wood paper with a regular old brown marker. I was pretty surprised at how well they blended in.


I could have thrown away the negative space from the buck silhouette diecut, but I had the idea to use it on another card. This was the result.


This truck stamp and die came from a Christmas stamp set. If you look, you can see the "Christmas lights" on the side of the truck. I figured it wouldn't be overly noticeable if I didn't point it out, so I hope I'm right. Choosing a truck color other than red helps, too.


I goofed on this card. After stamping the sentiment, I pulled it straight off - and then it slipped out of my hands. Of course it landed ink side down. Because the paper is so busy with tire tracks, I'm hoping it's not too noticeable. Or maybe it will look like a drop shadow. Yes, let's go with that last one. Note to self: Don't glue down the paper before stamping a sentiment onto it. You never know what might happen.


This one is pretty simple. It just came together from scraps, and I liked how it turned out.


I'm not anticipating sending this one to a guy, but it came together because I noticed how the two paper scraps looked like a table and wallpaper background together. That reminded me of the coffee cups I had pieced together awhile back, so I pulled one out and made the card while I was still thinking about it.

So, there you have it - my first cards in years. I really enjoyed it and may make a semi-regular blog feature of the "cards of the week".

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Welcome back to the card making world! Looks like you're having fun with your new "toy!" Love the first card with it's buck head and faux nails!

 
;