Saturday, November 24, 2018

Homeschool Bullet Journals, Part 2


I thought I had already posted a follow-up about our homeschool bullet journals. Then I found these pictures, searched through my blog archive, and realized I had never written up this post. So today I'm going to give you some more details about them.


The first thing I did was create a spread in my own bullet journal to plan out the basics of what I wanted to include in each of the kids' individual bullet journals. If you notice those blue "smudges" at the bottom, I just blurred some personal information.


Today I'll show you the bare bones of my son's bullet journal. I picked two marker colors to use in his journal, and I chose browns.

To start with, I created a printable calendar on sticker paper and adhered it to the front cover. We'll be highlighting each day that we do school work. (Obviously I took these pictures several months ago, before we ever started our schoolwork for the year.) Since we have to do schoolwork for 180 days in Pennsylvania, this is an easy way to do keep track of that.


Since my son has a bank account, I figured it was a good idea to teach him to keep track of it. I think it's much easier to track in a big spread like this, versus the tiny checkbook register that comes with your checks. Bonus: If you make more electronic transactions and deposits than you write checks, this helps a lot!


One of the other requirements for homeschooling in Pennsylvania is keeping a running book list. My kids are both avid readers, and I suspect we'll need several of these spreads before the year is out.


Lastly, I created a spread like this for each of his school subjects. It's like a teacher's grade book, but obviously just for him.

I didn't get any pictures of his daily logs, since they were begun after I took the pictures. They consist of a simple date and a listing of what all he did that day. It's very much like the original bullet journal concept. No surprises there, since Ryder Carroll (the inventor of the bullet journal concept) is also a guy. As much as I enjoy decorating my own bullet journal, I have to admit that I enjoyed the minimalistic approach in this one.

I also enjoyed working with the dot grid paper in his journal. I've been using graph paper in my journals since I began bullet journaling. After working with his, I picked a dot grid book for my next journal. We'll see which I prefer after I use it for a few months.

I hope you've enjoyed this peek into our homeschool bullet journals. I'll show you my daughter's next time. If you keep a homeschool bullet journal, I'd love to hear about it or see it (via a link) in the comments.

0 comments:

 
;