Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Artist's Loft Watercolor Dual Tip Markers: Labeling by Color Name

Since finding the Artist's Loft version of the bullet journal a few weeks ago, I've been excited to try new things. One of those things is venturing into the world of hand lettering. Now, before I go any further, please note: I AM JUST A BEGINNER. I started last night. I can't even get the thick and thin lines when I want them yet. I'm still experimenting to find just the right pen position, paper position, and pen pressure for me.

Still, I wanted to give this tip (pun not intended) for anyone else who opted for the cheaper Artist's Loft markers instead of Tombow. Before I get to the tip, maybe you're wondering why I chose to go with the Artist's Loft markers.
 

 For one thing, I'm just beginning and don't know if I'll persevere long enough to get the technique down perfectly. As such, I don't need the expensive markers. A basic set that has decent reviews from people who are far better at brush lettering than I can ever hope to be is good enough for me to start with. (And yes, there are some YouTube hand letterers who use these.)


For another thing, with a coupon, these markers came out to about $0.60 each in a pack of 12. That's just slightly more than I paid for markers from Dollar Tree, so the price seems more than fair.

Now let's get to the point of this blog post: how to label these markers.

I'm a detailed person. If I'm going to use these markers in my bullet journal, I'll likely be using a set color scheme each month or so. With that in mind, I really need to be able to grab the right marker the first time. A few of these were not the color I expected by the pen cap, so labeling was a must for me.

Since they have no color names that I could discover on a quick Google search, I decided to make them up myself. To do that, I did a basic lettering page and named them, based on what the color looked like to me. (Please refer back to my previous statements: I am a beginner. I just started last night.)


Then I used some of my lifetime-supply of sticker paper that I recently picked up at a yard sale ($1.50) to create labels with these color names. I just created a table in my word processing software. My columns were 1-1/4" wide, and my rows were 1/4" tall. The Times New Roman font worked perfectly in 11-point type.

Then I simply cut them out and applied them to the pens, right between the images of the pen tips.


If these decide to start coming off in the future, I'll just add a piece of clear tape over the top of them to hold them down.

0 comments:

 
;