Thursday, February 12, 2015

Knitting: Musical Fingerless Gloves


I knit these amazingly detailed fingerless gloves for my kids' piano teacher for her birthday recently. If you play piano, you will appreciate the thoughtfulness that went into the designer's choice of the bass clef on the left hand and the treble clef on the right hand. :)


I'm modeling these in the pictures, but the recipient has larger arms and hands than I do. I made this using a sportweight yarn. If I were making this for myself, I'd have to size down to a smaller yarn. However, I tried it with light fingering yarn, and it was way too small. Regular fingering weight (think sock yarn) would probably be about right for me.


These might look very complicated (and the charts are a little intimidating at first glance), but it's just basic colorwork. Take it one line at a time, and it's no big deal. It was some of the easiest knitting I've done in awhile. But, then again, I do enjoy colorwork.

So why would a musician need fingerless gloves? They're great for keeping your arms and part of your hands warm if you're practicing or playing in a drafty hall or even outside. My kids' piano teacher also plays the harp and does a lot of outdoor weddings. I hope these will be helpful!

This is a free pattern available on Ravelry. If you'd like to knit a pair for yourself (or your kids' piano teacher), go here.

1 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Wow - Those look like they took a bit of work! As always - they came out perfectly!

 
;