Saturday, February 14, 2015

Knitting: Cornflower Socks for Me


I recently discovered a non-wool sock yarn at my local Michaels store. I think they've carried it for awhile, but my store just recently got it in stock.



I bought a ball of it to see how it would work for socks, since it's acrylic and nylon instead of wool and nylon.

I was excited to discover that I can get two pairs of socks out of one ball of this yarn. It took just a little less than 1/2 a skein for this pair.

The yarn is super-soft, and it holds up well to washing and drying. I've already worn the socks and washed/dried them several times, and they look just as nice as the day I finished them. I don't notice my feet sweating in them any more than in my wool socks (which does occasionally happen), and they don't feel any different when my feet sweat than my wool socks do. If your feet tend to sweat a lot, you may have a different experience, but I really like these socks and will make more.

At about half the price of a ball of wool sock yarn (which has half the yarn), this is a real value!

As for the pattern itself, I went down a needle size since this yarn is a light fingering and my feet are small anyway. It worked perfectly, even though I was afraid that the socks would be too small as I was working them. They stretch very nicely! (Surprise, surprise! This is supposedly a concern with acrylic.)

The design isn’t too difficult, but it’s not brainless, either. I made a mistake on the foot portion of one sock because I was working it during a lively game of Scattergories while visiting family. [I wasn’t playing the game, but it was pretty distracting anyway. You'd have to know my in-laws. :)]

3 comments:

jemilyea said...

Another lovely project! I do still follow your blog and Ravelry projects, even though I've not commented for months. Someday I'll try knitting socks. I just finished a pair of wrist warmers.

Esther Asbury said...

Looks warms and cozy!

Michelle said...

I've been wondering about that yarn -- thanks for sharing your results with the rest of us.

 
;