Friday, February 28, 2014

Knitting: Amused Sweater


This is the second sweater I took along on our week-long travel expedition. I finished it in four days.

Sorry about the blurry picture! Taking a selfie in the bathroom mirror isn't as easy as it looks (and it doesn't look very easy to me, either), especially when your eyesight isn't all that great. I thought the pictures were focused just fine until I uploaded them to my computer and saw them about 3x the size as my camera screen ...

But to help you visualize this a little better, there is about 6" of ribbing at the bottom of the sweater. That makes for a very flattering fit (at least for me).

I used 100% lambswool from an unraveled American Eagle sweater that I picked up at the thrift store. If you think you can't wear wool, try lambswool. It's almost as soft as cashmere, and it's not as itchy -- and if you own any cashmere, you know that's saying something! [NOTE: All of my cashmere came from the thrift store, and they were all less than $5 per sweater. I am not independently wealthy. :) ]


Here's a slightly better picture of the cable detail around the placket and the collar. I love cables, and they are what drew me to this sweater in the first place.

Once again, I'm going to share my Ravelry project page with you. If you're interested in the details, check it out here: Amused Sweater.

If you're a knitter and would like to knit one for yourself, it's a free pattern. You can find it on Ravelry here: Amused by Jordana Paige. If you do plan to knit this, do yourself a favor and read other knitters' helpful notes about avoiding puckering on the placket and Sputnik's collar improvement (to make the cables line up with the placket). I've linked to both of them on my project page.

This is probably my new favorite sweater, and it's absolutely my favorite sweater that I've personally knit to date. (The cabled Olwen sweater was pretty awesome, but this one is even more flattering to my figure.)

2 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I can't even imagine finished a sweater in a year -- and you did it in four days!! Wow!!!! As always you did a great job and turned out a lovely sweater!!

Christa said...

Funny you should mention that, because I always thought a sweater would take me that long to knit, too.

I've been focusing on "big" projects lately in an effort to increase my patience and self-discipline. (Really!) I like to think that it's working. :)

 
;