Monday, September 1, 2008

New-to-Kindergarten Gift

We're spending the day with a fellow pastor and family today. Since their daughter is just one day older (or is it younger?) than my son, and since they are also beginning homeschooling this year, I decided to take a little "new to kindergarten" gift along for her.

Thanks to those wonderful school supply sales, my out of pocket for this gift was next to nothing. But it's something my son would love, and if I have her pegged right, she should love it, too. :) Not only that, she starts school tomorrow, just like I'm planning with my son. (So long as our book order makes it before the afternoon.)

First of all, I decorated a composition book with her first initial on it. It's not the fanciest composition book I've ever made, but I liked it and it worked for the time frame I had. I was going to add some of that gingham ribbon to the spine, but it wouldn't stick. Oh well!



Then I decorated a spiral-bound notebook using a picture from a doll catalog and her name printed on the computer. She loves her dolls like my little girl does, so she should really like this, too!



And here's the final gift all packaged and ready to go:



Contents: a decorated composition book, decorated spiral-bound notebook, pencils, colored pencils, washable markers, crayons, pencil cap erasers and glue - all in the perfect matching "basket" that I picked up this last week for $0.30.

I thought about rolling the pencils in glue and then in glitter, but I wasn't sure how that would affect the sharpening process. I'll have to see what I can find out about that because it would sure jazz up those $0.10 pencil packs I got at Staples!!

I hope you had a relaxing and enjoyable Labor Day!

3 comments:

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

What a CUTE gift! I bet she was thrilled!! I can't wait to start official homeschool. We're doing toddler homeschool stuff now...but I'm eagerly looking through all the Homeschool books and curriculum now, getting my ideas and plans. I hope you guys have a GREAT first day as well!!!

KristenBieber said...

Good luck to you on your first official day of homeschooling! It is our first day tomorrow too. I am so excited, my kids are too. I look forward to posts about it!

Unknown said...

How creative. I love this idea and definately will be bookmarking this for future reference. Thanks
http://www.organizingconnection.com/Blog.aspx

 
;