Thursday, September 4, 2008

Homeschooling: First day of kindergarten!

Today was our first day of school! I shouldn't have been surprised when my son woke up an hour earlier than usual and insisted we get up - NOW! Unfortunately, he went to bed an hour later than usual the night before.

Needless to say, I had one very cranky child on my hands. He was determined not to be happy until we were seated in our schoolroom and ready to go. So this is the first happy picture of him all morning. But hey - he's really happy, so I guess it was worth the wait!



My daughter spent the morning in the schoolroom with us since my husband had to do some calling this morning. (His plan is to watch her for me while my son and I homeschool. We shall see ...) She was the typical 2-year-old, pestering for snacks, jumping off the bed, turning her table and chair over ... But she seemed to enjoy herself and actually participated with a few of the songs and actions.



And here is my right-hander trying his best to stay in the lines while coloring left-handed. I tried to show him how to hold the crayon with his right hand, since the doctor said he could write. For some reason, he didn't "get it" until later in the morning. Better late than never!



Speaking of "better late than never," what do you think showed up at our doorstep an hour after we had finished homeschooling for the day? Yep, you guessed it - the homeschool books I had been waiting on. I was relieved that the delivery didn't take the extra week that had been projected!

Tomorrow I'll share pictures of our homeschool/guest room.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hello, I like you have a 4 soon to be 5 year old boy this month and we have also started homeschooling this week. It is going great. But I also have a 2 year old girl and at times she is a distraction. I let her get involved when she can, but was just wondering if you find anything that works for you to help from being a distraction please share. I to have a hubby that is in the minisrty and is gone or busy a lot so not sure how much he can be of help. Was also curious what are using to teach your child.

Christa said...

Jennifer -

We're only a few days into it, but my plan is to keep my daughter busy with worksheets that resemble my son's. I picked up one of those huge Pre-K skill books at a thrift store for $0.25 once, and it's perfect.

Coloring books should work just fine, too, if your girl likes to color. (Mine does!)

I'm also involving her when she's interested. For instance, if we're coloring in circles on the chalkboard, I let her take a turn.

Maybe it's just my kids, but I've discovered that my son ignores a lot of distractions from her.

Maybe I'll do a post on this as the year progresses and I get more helpful ideas.

And before I forget, we're using Abeka's K5 curriculum.

 
;